To have a child baptized at St. Benedict Church parents must live the in Shawnee area. Anyone outside the parish area should go to their local church for Baptism.
Only parents or legal guardians may initiate the baptism process.
Parents are encouraged to begin this process before your baby is born.
Parents and godparents are required to attend one pre-baptism class. Classes at St. Benedict are conducted on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 pm and are approximately one hour in length. register at the Parish Office for these classes.
After the class has been completed by all required, the parent should contact the Pastor, Associate Pastor or Deacon to schedule a date for the Baptism.
The Baptism will be entered into the Registry of the church and a certificate will be prepared for the family.
For Adult Baptism
(age 15 and up) please see the RCIA page under Religious Education.
Choosing a sponsors (godparents) for your child is important.
There are three possibilities for sponsors according to the Code of Canon Law:
• One set of sponsors, one male and one female
• One sponsor of either gender
• One sponsor and a non-Catholic witness who is baptized (gender is not important)
Only the names of sponsors are recorded in the baptismal registry.
Sponsors must meet the following qualifications:
• Be at least 16 years of age
• Have received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist
• Be a practicing member in good standing in their Catholic parish or church community
• Have sent an official letter from the pastor of their Catholic parish or church stating that they are a member in good standing and lead a life in harmony with the faith and role they will be undertaking
• Not be the child's parents